Why are software raid devices being renamed?

Since about mkinitrd-5.0.11, software raidsets are being created in /dev during initrd with the name /dev/md_dn where n is the number of the raidset instead of /dev/mdn. This is causing all sorts of problems from the worst being kernel panics and the least being raidsets not being mounted in fstab.

Does anyone know why this is happening and does it mean we have to make some changes to the way we use raid?

--
Regards,

Old Fart