Re: Up2date replacement

From: Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-test-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Up2date replacement
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:24:24 -0800

On Mon, 2005-11-28 at 10:19 -0800, Dan Hollis wrote:

> It would be nice if there were some repository config manager, which
> pulled a master "authoritative" list from somewhere and let you select
> repositories via ncurses/x11/etc. The directory would list the repository
> name, its intended function, its geographic location and link speeds,
> etc. to make sorting out the whole mess a bit easier.
>
> I have thought about writing such a beast and calling it "yuk" to
> complement "yum" :)

Such a tool, or such information that the tool uses to get the list of
repos must live outside the scope of Fedora.  Fedora tools/content
cannot link to, point to, or otherwise enable the use of repositories
that may include illegal or ForbiddenItems content.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://geek.j2solutions.net)

Anyone can add repo's to yum now in /etc/yum.repos.d. A lot of people do this to add missing codecs from alternate repositories to play things like MP3 files. Last I heard Fedora was supporting Yum. They just don't want to be party to providing links to sites that may have legal entanglements themselves. They leave that up to the users of yum. How would a tool like this be any different ?