Re: Up2date replacement

Before we begin congratulations to REDHAT for being picked as the OS for the MIT $100 laptop. See http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=731 for details. I am also glad that Fedora is getting press in www.distrowatch.com and www.lwn.com for Core 5.

From: Jeremy Katz <katzj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Up2date replacement
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 00:00:58 -0500

> Up2date lets you decide to install the updates or not after everything is
> downloaded so you can do that later if you have run out of time.

Why would you run out of time, though?  How is having the time required
for downloading different from having the time required for installing?

The point being that you sometimes run out of time to complete the whole process. To go from Fedora Core 4 to rawhide is over 1.2 Gigs of download that took me five hours to get. To apply the 1.2 Gigs of updates took over 2 hours. This is on a 1.8 GHZ system with a 5.5 Mb/S internet connection.

Again though my biggest concern is getting things fixed quickly. PUP says everything is uptodate when I know REDHAT has a fix available for my broken firewall with iptables-1.3.4-2.i386.rpm in the development repo. Today I can only seem to get it through http.