Re: Availability FC5 - Test 1

On 11/22/05, Will H. Backman <whb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
Agent.
> > Now I have yum and the system-config-* tools.
> > Am I now looking at something called Pup?
> >
> > I think the tools are getting better all the time, but I think the
name
> > changes hurt the manageability.
>
> Would you rather the name stayed the same but not one bit of the old
> code be used?  None of the old options used, none of the old
> documentation relevant, etc etc...?
>
> Pup is new software.  Needs a new name.  up2date still exists in RHEL,
> and won't be replaced.  How confusing would it be to have an up2date
in
> Fedora that is completely different from the up2date in RHEL?
>
> Progress means new thinking, new applications, and new names.  These
are
> mentioned in release notes, package lists, mailing lists, blogs,
etc...

Look at what has been done with mta switching.  I just wish similar work
was done with the common system tools.  Of course wishing gets me
nowhere, nor does my complaining about it.  I guess I could start
working on it.

Tools of the trade change from one *nix to the other and same with distro's.  I use all the major *nix at work and (linux|freebsd|solaris) at home and they all have there differences that you just have to learn and get used to.

RH can't force Debian/Suse to use system-config* and the flip side they can't force RH/FC to use dpkg/yast.  Just something we have to deal with when there are 500+ distributions to use out there :)   and I don't think LSB has any place to tell folks what to name the commands.  Plus as it has been mentioned, as new tools come out or forks, the name has to change, no choice, if it didn't that would be more confusing imho.