Re: syslog stopped logging on x86_64?

On May 13, 2005, at 12:41 PM, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 11:09:22AM -0700, Jeff Sheltren wrote:

On May 13, 2005, at 10:28 AM, Jason Vas Dias wrote:

I'm getting incorrect
sizes for this file on i386 too:

No, you are not.

Before I enter a bug report, I have noticed an
error message on the console when starting syslogd, which is also
shown when starting syslogd with -d:

# syslogd -d
Allocated parts table for 1024 file descriptors.
Starting.
Called logerr, msg: network logging disabled (syslog/udp service
unknown).

And here is a problem although what is an underlying reason is not
clear from the above.  Do you have something like 'syslog 514/udp'
entry in /etc/services?   Or this could be something else.

As for 'ls' this is  not a bug but a documented property. If you
want to see a size of a file in terms of disk blocks then you are
not using '-l' flag which means something different.  For "dense"
files these two numbers are related but for "sparse" this is really
not the case.

   Michal

Hi Michal, thanks for the response. Well, the lastlog thing is apparently unrelated anyway, but I'm still having the syslog problems. Yes, I have checked in /etc/services and the syslog entry is there.

-Jeff