Re: syslog stopped logging on x86_64?

On May 13, 2005, at 10:28 AM, Jason Vas Dias wrote:

Please raise a sysklogd bugzilla on this - there have been no
reports of this kind before.

syslogd has nothing to do with /var/log/lastlog - that's
a utmp/wtmp like login log . Please raise a bug against
shadow-utils for the incorrect size - I'm getting incorrect
sizes for this file on i386 too:
$ ls -l lastlog
-r--------  1 root root 19136220 May 13 11:15 lastlog
$ du -ks lastlog
33      lastlog

Please gather an strace when you can reproduce the syslogd
problem:

# strace -p `pgrep syslogd` >/tmp/syslogd.strace.log 2>&1
# logger hello
# pkill strace

And append the /tmp/syslogd.strace.log to the bug report.

Does the problem persist after clearing out /var/log/messages ?
ie. back up /var/log/messages if you want to save it, and do:
 # echo '' > /var/log/messages
 # service syslog restart

Thank You,
Jason Vas Dias.

Hi Jason, thanks. Before I enter a bug report, I have noticed an error message on the console when starting syslogd, which is also shown when starting syslogd with -d:

# syslogd -d
Allocated parts table for 1024 file descriptors.
Starting.
Called logerr, msg: network logging disabled (syslog/udp service unknown). logmsg: syslog.err<43>, flags 4, from hell, msg syslogd: network logging disabled (syslog/udp service unknown).
Called fprintlog, logging to CONSOLE /dev/console
Called logerr, msg: see syslogd(8) for details of whether and how to enable it. logmsg: syslog.err<43>, flags 4, from hell, msg syslogd: see syslogd (8) for details of whether and how to enable it.
Called fprintlog, logging to CONSOLE /dev/console
Debugging disabled, SIGUSR1 to turn on debugging.

The network logging message is still there even after I removed all the remote logging stuff from syslog.conf. There is a syslog entry in /etc/services, so I'm not sure what else could be causing that error message.

-Jeff