/dev/hda2 problem

Hi,

Last week, I found grub.conf had been hosed (deleted somehow), so this
morning, using RIP linux, I re-wrote the grub.conf file so that it is
the same as my laptop (both run rawhide).

I did a reboot, but it came up a kernel panic as lvm was unable to sync.

I've tried to mount /dev/hda2 using RIP linux, but it always comes back
with the error that /dev/hda2 or /mnt/linux is in use. I've tried
mounting it using gnoppix (also has lvm abilities), but get the same
error.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

TTFN

Paul