Re: More bugs on Final Version!

>4) my favorite editor jed is missing... nice Now I have >to turn to vi???
> and more to come as I look in to it the following days!!!
>Anyway it still mych better then FC3!!!
>Nice job, thainks !

Looks like they broke spell check too. :)
-- kyle
Today's Topics:

   1. More bugs on Final Version! (?????? ?????????)
   2. Re: More bugs on Final Version! (Rahul Sundaram)
   3. Re: More bugs on Final Version! (Lars E. Pettersson)
   4. Re: More bugs on Final Version! (Rahul Sundaram)
   5. Re: looks good (Panu Matilainen)
   6. Re: More bugs on Final Version! (Bjorn Andersen)
   7. Re: Missing Screensavers (Alan Cox)
   8. Re: Missing Screensavers (Daniel Roesen)
   9. Re: Missing Screensavers (Miloslav Trmac)
  10. rawhide report: 20050614 changes (Build System)
  11. Re: More bugs on Final Version! (Gregory Maxwell)
  12. Re: More bugs on Final Version! (Rahul Sundaram)
  13. Re: Missing Screensavers (Matthew Miller)
  14. Re: Missing Screensavers (Matthew Miller)
  15. Installation failure - suggestions needed... (Neil B. Cohen)
  16. Re: Installation failure - suggestions needed... (Tony Molloy)
  17. Re: More bugs on Final Version! (Stephen Smalley)
  18. Re: Installation failure - suggestions needed... (Patrick)
  19. Re: Installation failure - suggestions needed... (Matthew Lenz)

--- Begin Message --- Although had been pointed out before this bug still exists in final version!!! 1) Installing FC4 64 with reiserfs system the system fails to boot since it' can't mount the root fs!!! 2) I own an AMD 64bit 3200+ the gnome applet that show the cpu speed complains that it can not manage the cpu speed so my cpu is stack at 2Ghz even when cpu time is 0%. Cool and quiet which was WORKING on fc4 rc3 use to slow down my cpu at 800Mhz when cpu load was low and the gnome applet worked fine!
3) XMMS is missing! Nice... who needs the famous xmms??
4) my favorite editor jed is missing... nice Now I have to turn to vi???
and more to come as I look in to it the following days!!!
Anyway it still mych better then FC3!!!
Nice job, thainks !

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Γώρκας Δημήτριος wrote:

Although had been pointed out before this bug still exists in final version!!! 1) Installing FC4 64 with reiserfs system the system fails to boot since it' can't mount the root fs!!!

Reiserfs is not support in this release. only ext3

3) XMMS is missing! Nice... who needs the famous xmms??

Rythmbox is the default player. Xmms is a gtk1 application and does not use the gstreamer framework. It is available in Fedora Extras

#yum install xmms

4) my favorite editor jed is missing... nice Now I have to turn to vi???

You have nano or emacs too. It would a good idea to step up to maintain Joe in Fedora Extras if you are interested in it
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras

and more to come as I look in to it the following days!!!
Anyway it still mych better then FC3!!!
Nice job, thainks !

Glad you like it

regards
Rahul

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 09:30, Γώρκας Δημήτριος wrote:
> 3) XMMS is missing! Nice... who needs the famous xmms??

It is in extras now:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/xmms-1.2.10-16.i386.rpm

> 4) my favorite editor jed is missing... nice Now I have to turn to vi???

So is jed:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/extras/4/i386/jed-0.99.16-10.i386.rpm

I am not at my FC4 machine now, but I think extras is enabled by
default, so you should be able to do:

yum install xmms jed

Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi

4) my favorite editor jed is missing... nice Now I have to turn to vi???

Just found out that Jed is in there too

http://fedoraproject.org/extras/4/i386/repodata/repoview/jed-0-0.99.16-10.html

#yum install jed

regards
Rahul

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

give a hint where to find the apt servers for synaptic are they ready dag livina ans all of them ?

freshrpms and it's mirrors at least still provides apt repository:
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/4/i386/

	- Panu -

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
tir, 14 06 2005 kl. 10:30 +0300, skrev Γώρκας Δημήτριος:
> Although had been pointed out before this bug still exists in final
> version!!!
> 1) Installing FC4 64 with reiserfs system the system fails to boot since
> it' can't mount the root fs!!!

I it not a SELinux problem here? Reaiser FS is not kompatible with
SELinux.

> 2) I own an AMD 64bit 3200+ the gnome applet that show the cpu speed
> complains that it can not  manage the cpu speed so my cpu is stack at
> 2Ghz even when cpu time is 0%. Cool and quiet which was WORKING on fc4
> rc3 use to slow down my cpu at 800Mhz when cpu load was low and the
> gnome applet worked fine!

I too have problem with the Network monitor applet in the AMD 64 system.

> 3) XMMS is missing! Nice... who needs the famous xmms??
> 4) my favorite editor jed is missing... nice Now I have to turn to vi???
>  and more to come as I look in to it the following days!!!
> Anyway it still mych better then FC3!!!
> Nice job, thainks !

Its by far the best Fedora release.
Besides the syslinux install issue, its great!

/Bjorn

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 11:36:32PM -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> They are not installed by default because some are offensive and some
> may crash a users system (gl screen savers mostly).  So we ship with
> only one - blank screen.  You can however get xscreensaver-extras and
> xscreensaver-gl-extras as someone else has pointed out.

Also some of them use sections of the users screen for amusing effects. Thats
a nasty suprise that some people don't welcome when they are using "lock" mode.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:00:35AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 11:36:32PM -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > They are not installed by default because some are offensive and some
> > may crash a users system (gl screen savers mostly).  So we ship with
> > only one - blank screen.  You can however get xscreensaver-extras and
> > xscreensaver-gl-extras as someone else has pointed out.
>
> Also some of them use sections of the users screen for amusing
> effects. Thats a nasty suprise that some people don't welcome when they
> are using "lock" mode.

All that is a none-issue if the default setting for xscreensaver would
be "blank screen" (no matter wether the others are installed or not),
or am I missing something?

Best regards,
Daniel

--
CLUE-RIPE -- Jabber: dr@xxxxxxxxxx -- dr@IRCnet -- PGP: 0xA85C8AA0

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:00:35AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> Also some of them use sections of the users screen for amusing effects. Thats
> a nasty suprise that some people don't welcome when they are using "lock" mode.
FC4 seems to default to choosing a random image from
/usr/share/backgrounds/images, which is a lot better.
	Mirek

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
New package iso-codes
	ISO code lists and translations

New package libpixman
	Pixel manipulation library

Updated Packages:

audit-0.9.4-1
-------------
* Sat Jun 11 2005 Steve Grubb <sgrubb@xxxxxxxxxx> 0.9.4-1
- Rule and watch insert no longer automatically dumps list
- auditctl rules can now use auid instead of loginuid
- Add sighup support for daemon reconfiguration
- Move some functions into private.h

elinks-0.10.3-3.1
-----------------
* Sat Jun 11 2005 Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> 0.10.3-3.1
- fix #159575 - elinks fails to render entire page

epiphany-1.7.1-1
----------------
* Fri Jun 10 2005 Christopher Aillon <caillon@xxxxxxxxxx> - 1.7.1-1
- Update to 1.7.1

fetchmail-6.2.5-9
-----------------
* Sat Jun 11 2005 Miloslav Trmac <mitr@xxxxxxxxxx> - 6.2.5-9
- Fix fetchmailconf handling of unspecified server port

foomatic-3.0.2-20
-----------------
* Mon Jun 13 2005 Tim Waugh <twaugh@xxxxxxxxxx> 3.0.2-20
- Updated db-hpijs to 1.5-20050613.
- Updated db to 20050613.

* Fri Jun 10 2005 Tim Waugh <twaugh@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Add IEEE 1284 ID for Epson Stylus Photo 915 (bug #160030).
- Add IEEE 1284 ID for Ricoh Aficio 2228C PS (bug #160036).

* Tue Jun 07 2005 Tim Waugh <twaugh@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Add IEEE 1284 ID for Epson Stylus Photo 870 (bug #159719).

glib2-2.7.0-1
-------------
* Mon Jun 13 2005 Matthias Clasen <mclasen@xxxxxxxxxx> - 2.7.0-1
- Update to 2.7.0

jwhois-3.2.2-16
---------------
* Sun Jun 12 2005 Miloslav Trmac <mitr@xxxxxxxxxx> - 3.2.2-16
- Remove 'fuzzy' from ru.po header to make charset conversion work (#160165)

* Sat Jun 11 2005 Miloslav Trmac <mitr@xxxxxxxxxx> - 3.2.2-15
- Update to upstream config as of Jun 11 2005, remove patches accepted upstream

patchutils-0.2.31-1
-------------------
* Mon Jun 13 2005 Tim Waugh <twaugh@xxxxxxxxxx> 0.2.31-1
- 0.2.31.

redhat-artwork-0.124-2
----------------------
* Fri Jun 10 2005 John (J5) Palmieri <johnp@xxxxxxxxxx> 0.124-2
- readd a throbbers patch because the uptream tarball missed the
  Makefile changes

rhythmbox-0.8.8-3
-----------------
* Mon Jun 13 2005 Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> - 0.8.8-3
- Add Bluecurve-ized icons from Jeff Schroeder (157716)
- Add rhythmbox-0.8.8-cell-renderer.patch to remove use of custom
  cell renderer for playback icon (no longer necessary) and
  changes the rating renderer to work with non-b&w icons

rp-pppoe-3.5-28
---------------
* Mon Jun 13 2005 Than Ngo <than@xxxxxxxxxx> 3.5-28
- use iproute2 instead of old ifconfig #134816

selinux-policy-targeted-1.23.18-6
---------------------------------
* Mon Jun 13 2005 Dan Walsh <dwalsh@xxxxxxxxxx> 1.23.18-6
- Further cleanup of user separation patches from Ivan

system-config-netboot-0.1.18-1
------------------------------
* Mon Jun 13 2005 Jason Vas Dias <jvdias@xxxxxxxxxx> 0.1.18-1
- fix bugs 159490, 159996, 160143

xpdf-1:3.00-20
--------------
* Mon Jun 13 2005 Than Ngo <than@xxxxxxxxxx> 3.00-20
- urlCommand launches htmlview #160176
- fix gcc4 build problem

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On 6/14/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You have nano or emacs too.  It would a good idea to step up to maintain
> Joe in Fedora Extras if you are interested in it
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras

Excuse me?
emacs-21.4-5.i386.rpm         emacs-leim-21.4-5.i386.rpm
emacs-common-21.4-5.i386.rpm  emacs-nox-21.4-5.i386.rpm
emacs-el-21.4-5.i386.rpm      emacspeak-21.0-2.i386.rpm

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Gregory Maxwell wrote:

On 6/14/05, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You have nano or emacs too.  It would a good idea to step up to maintain
Joe in Fedora Extras if you are interested in it
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras

Excuse me?
emacs-21.4-5.i386.rpm         emacs-leim-21.4-5.i386.rpm
emacs-common-21.4-5.i386.rpm  emacs-nox-21.4-5.i386.rpm
emacs-el-21.4-5.i386.rpm      emacspeak-21.0-2.i386.rpm

My point exactly, that the user doesnt have to use vi and can use emacs since it already exists in core. In a followup I also confirmed that Jed is available from Fedora Extras

regards
Rahul

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 07:00:35AM -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> Also some of them use sections of the users screen for amusing effects.
> Thats a nasty suprise that some people don't welcome when they are using
> "lock" mode.

Yes. I still think it's a good idea to change the default to using a
directory of logos/images rather than the background. It's an easy switch,
still looks nice, and doesn't have the surprise side-effect.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 01:14:40PM +0200, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> > Also some of them use sections of the users screen for amusing effects. Thats
> > a nasty suprise that some people don't welcome when they are using "lock" mode.
> FC4 seems to default to choosing a random image from
> /usr/share/backgrounds/images, which is a lot better.

Oh. Good then. :)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I have a machine at home which has been running FC3 and FC4T3 without
any problems. Last night I attempted to install the official FC4. I
media checked the CD's, partitioned my disks, selected packages and
started the install. Before formatting the disks, I got a popup window
that said "Error informing the kernel about mods to partition /dev/hdb2
- resource is busy. This means Linux will not see any changes
to /dev/hdb2 until your reboot...." Then the system forces a reboot.
I think this was my swap partition, but clicking the 'Ignore' button on
the popup generated a similar message for other partitions I was trying
to create (some, but not all of them...)

I tried this twice. Figured it might be hardware, so I used a Windows CD
(ugh! :)) to completely reformat both hard drives. Formatting worked,
but the Linux install failed again. Tried letting Anaconda do an
automatic disk partitioning instead of manual - same result.

I gather that people have successfully installed FC4 from the emails
I've read. Anyone see anything like this? Any suggestions? I plan to
take my FC4T3 disks home tonight and see if I can reload the system with
those... Anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance,

nbc
--
NAME:   Neil B. Cohen (Cisco Systems Inc.)
PHONE:  703-484-1316

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tuesday 14 June 2005 13:39, Neil B. Cohen wrote:
> I have a machine at home which has been running FC3 and FC4T3 without
> any problems. Last night I attempted to install the official FC4. I
> media checked the CD's, partitioned my disks, selected packages and
> started the install. Before formatting the disks, I got a popup window
> that said "Error informing the kernel about mods to partition /dev/hdb2
> - resource is busy. This means Linux will not see any changes
> to /dev/hdb2 until your reboot...." Then the system forces a reboot.
> I think this was my swap partition, but clicking the 'Ignore' button on
> the popup generated a similar message for other partitions I was trying
> to create (some, but not all of them...)
>
> I tried this twice. Figured it might be hardware, so I used a Windows
> CD (ugh! :)) to completely reformat both hard drives. Formatting
> worked, but the Linux install failed again. Tried letting Anaconda do
> an automatic disk partitioning instead of manual - same result.
>

> Thanks in advance,

Hi,

Had the same problem with a Dell Precision 330. Again the error referred
to my old swap partition which I had changed for the installation.

I just rebooted and everything went OK !!

Tony

--

Tony Molloy.

Dept. of Comp. Sci.
University of Limerick

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 12:19 +0200, Bjorn Andersen wrote:
> tir, 14 06 2005 kl. 10:30 +0300, skrev Γώρκας Δημήτριος:
> > Although had been pointed out before this bug still exists in final
> > version!!!
> > 1) Installing FC4 64 with reiserfs system the system fails to boot since
> > it' can't mount the root fs!!!
>
> I it not a SELinux problem here? Reaiser FS is not kompatible with
> SELinux.

That should have been addressed (i.e. reiserfs xattr support has
allegedly been fixed upstream to work properly with SELinux), but others
have also reported breakage with reiserfs in FC4.  Whether or not it is
SELinux-related, I'm not sure.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 08:39 -0400, Neil B. Cohen wrote:
> I have a machine at home which has been running FC3 and FC4T3 without
> any problems. Last night I attempted to install the official FC4. I
> media checked the CD's, partitioned my disks, selected packages and
> started the install. Before formatting the disks, I got a popup window
> that said "Error informing the kernel about mods to partition /dev/hdb2
> - resource is busy. This means Linux will not see any changes
> to /dev/hdb2 until your reboot...." Then the system forces a reboot.
> I think this was my swap partition, but clicking the 'Ignore' button on
> the popup generated a similar message for other partitions I was trying
> to create (some, but not all of them...)

Neil,

I experienced the same thing. I solved it by going into rescue mode and
manually removing the FC4T3 partitions, reboot, go into rescue mode
again, make the partitions manually with fdisk and format them, reboot
and go into the installer and install FC4.

After the installation finished and I rebooted I had a weird LABEL=...
entry for the swap partition in my /etc/fstab filled with what someone
in #fedora called UTF8 junk. I removed the junk and changed the label to
LABEL=SWAP-sda3. Then all was fine. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Patrick

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Wish I would have even gotten that far.  Tried to install on a newer
Dell desktop at work yesterday and it kernel panic'd towards the end of
the kernel load.  Installs just fine on my current machine (dell a
couple years old).  How does one even diagnose a situation like that?
Is there some kernel boot arg that just writes a log to a floppy drive
or something?  Its a Newish (last couple months) Dell 8400 series. SATA,
PCI express.

--- End Message ---