Re: up2date not working, Silly question

Patrick wrote:
On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 00:28 -0400, Joel Rittvo wrote:
[snip]

Thanks to all for the help, but I think I am going to wait for the FC4 official release and then reinstall the rhn and up2date related package(s) and grab the release package too. Between those I am sure it will be all happy. Then I will have a clean slate, and I can edit in the development repos at that point.

Afaik it is advisable to reinstall a fresh clean copy of FC4 instead of
upgrading your FC4Tx box to FC4. Iirc only upgrades from major to major
are officially possible (eg FC3 -> FC4) and not even then a guarantee
for success.

Frankly, I think the recent constant breakage of up2date is a subversive way to get the last hold-outs like me fully switched over to yum. It may have finally worked here!

Yum has worked so much better for me that I don't know why anyone would
want to hold on to up2date. Choice is good unless imho the alternative
compared to yum is a nice much appreciated attempt from the early
days :)

Regards,
Patrick

I know you are correct about the supported upgrade paths, but this box started as FC2 Test1 and has survived through daily Rawhide updates all the way to now. Sometimes things are broken for a few weeks but I get them fixed eventually. I try to not report bugs that could be the result of not doing a clean install of a new version in over a year, so I don't waste too much of every one else's time.

For me, if it all worked perfectly all the time, I would never have the opportunity to start to understand how it works. Each time something is broken, I learn a great deal getting it fixed. I don't mind broken. I sort of like broken, sometimes. (Be very grateful you are not a part of my family . . .)

Joel