Running Core 4 on laptop

Hello,

I have an older Sony Vaio laptop that I'd like to devote solely to Linux
Core 4. Problem is, I only have modem access on it (not broadband) and I
have no CD player for it, just a USB port.

Before I go buy a used accessory just to install the OS, is there any way
that you know of that I could download Core 4 to an external USB hard drive
through my PowerBook laptop broadband connection, then move the external USB
hard drive to the Vaio and install from the external USB drive?

AB