Re: We will soon be at FC4 and system-config-packages will still fall short

Michael A. Peters wrote:

On 03/23/2005 10:52:40 PM, Raymond Lillard wrote:

Dawid Zamirski wrote:

seth vidal wrote:

System-config-packages really needs, I would say, requires,
an option allowing to see everything instead of just a subset of  the
distribution like presently.  Yes, I filed an RFE a loooong
time ago.  But FC4 will be still another release of Fedora
where most of the distribution is not visible from
system-config-packages so the only solution is use RPM from
the command line, while fighting dependencies and trying to
find what CD has the required package.

On a related topic, I agree it would be good to have complete
control over the package selection, what I would like even
better would be the return of the list of additional packages
needed to satisfy the dependencies of the chosen packages.

Often times, one selects a single small package with out
knowing its dependencies and suddenly pulls in a ton of
stuff that was not wanted.

yum does this, I would expect pup would too.

Unless I mis-understood Seth's original point, the subject
is package selection during installation.  Yum works after
installation.

Ray