Re: mono in fc3/rawhide/4 ?

Since when did Microsoft start honoring patent/IP law?

My point is after the whipping Microsoft got in court for the Stacker/DOS and SMB/File Server protocols it specifically learned from that experience and placed very nice land mines all over the .net framework.

.net/MONO is Microsofts honeypot for the Linux Distro community.

Besides, Java solves all our problems and with a vendor that poses no real threat to us because SUN grows weaker by the year and has already made some nice contributions to the open source community.

They also have a nice community process and at least try to address everyones concerns.

With java we also have the added niceness that the class API is gradually being completely GPL'ed anyway, so even if SUN dies, we still have our own implementation. (i.e. Tomcat will run just fine with no downloads from SUN.)

-gc

Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:

http://www.mono-project.com/about/licensing.html

As far as i can se, the most interesting parts of mono have no patent
troubles. And its all GPL/LGPL/MIT.

So why not? There are a few quite interesting C#/GTK# apps out there
(http://www.gnome.org/projects/beagle/ is one example).

Kyrre