Re: Automatic Installation of Printers

Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:

On Friday 17 December 2004 01:13 am, Michael A. Peters wrote:
On 12/16/2004 03:47:59 PM, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
Hello,

    A suggestion for FC4 would be the automatic detection and
installation of
printers on the local machine, as is the case with some other
distributions
of Linux, with the option to choose CUPS or not.
Fedora does this already - at least it does for me, with usb printers.
Except for the part of choosing cups or not. You can however post
install remove a printer from the cups configuration if you don't want
to use cups.
Hello Michael, Perhaps I am missing something during the initial installation. I guess the problem that I am having is when I am trying to get other machines on the network to print from the machine where the printer is installed. I have already gone through the steps of sharing a printer, etc. I have a small network with a mixed environment of wireless and ethernet machines. They can see the printer but cannot print to it. Perhaps the firewalls that are set up by default are preventing the machines on the network from printing, I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, I have an Epson Stylus C80 printer attached to a Dell Dimension XPS t600 Desktop. I also use CUPS.
Jeff

Whenever I suspect firewall issues I temporarily disable my firewall settings. (I am on an internal network, and feel safe in doing this for a quick test). I my case, I found that I *did* have firewall issues preventing me from accessing a printer from a remote machine. After that, I opened the required port and remote machines were able to print.

Terry