Re: FC3 - wrong screen resolution

I found that when hittin ctrl-C after the system hangs it actually
continues to boot and gives me a command line.

The problem is that system settings - display did not update my
xorg.conf file correctly.  The driver name for the video card was not
replaced with the corect one but ended up as mix of "Vesa" and "S3Trio3D"

This has to be edited as root. I like to use mc. (midnight commander). All you need to do as root is the below.
- Start mc
- navigate to the /etc/X11/ directory.
- highlight the xorg.conf file
- press the F4 key to edit the file
- scroll down to where the vesa and S3Trio3D entries are located.
- remove the vesa entry
- press F2 to save the file
- alt-Fn to a terminal (2 - 4)
- log in as a regular user
- type startx in the terminal and X should start (or at least attempt to start)

Don't launch X as a root user - if it gets "hungry", it will eat your filesystem.

If editing the file does not work, it might be possible to run
system-config-display --reconfig
and see if you have any luck with s-c-display doing the right thing this time. Since you know the desired card, you can select this under the hardware and display settings tab, if X will start.

I wouldn't attempt to do a clean install because of one file setting.

Jim

I tried to correct this using vi but am not able to open the file in
edit modus.  I'm told it is a read only file.

Any suggestions?

Truls