Re: telnet server problem

jqian wrote:

Hi, I'm encountering a problem I've never had before after install Fedora Core 3 test3: I enable the telnet server, and it runs as part of xinetd. But when I try logging in, the server doesn't give me an opportunity to enter a username; the "Login:" prompt doesn't appear. All that happens is three messages of "Login incorrect" in quick succession.

When I examine /var/log/secure, the logs have
"login: FAILED LOGIN SESSION FROM 192.168.0.2 FOR (null), Authentication failure" So apparently the server compeletely ignores me having to type a username for it. This problem occurs when i trying telnetting to localhost also.

What would be the problem here? I don't have a very good knowledge of the new permissions from such things like SELinux, so could these have something to do with it?

Harald Hoyer wrote:
You do not want to login as "root", do you?

 I believe he said he was not even allowed to enter a username.

 I've seen this as well.  Before the flames about telnet vs
ssh start up, there are many legacy systems/devices in use that
do not support ssh (and they never will), so telnet access is
still sometimes necessary...

 I have seen the problem he reported occur even when SELinux is
disabled.

ron