Re: telnet server problem

jqian wrote:
Hi, I'm encountering a problem I've never had before after install Fedora Core 3 test3: I enable the telnet server, and it runs as part of xinetd. But when I try logging in, the server doesn't give me an opportunity to enter a username; the "Login:" prompt doesn't appear. All that happens is three messages of "Login incorrect" in quick succession.

When I examine /var/log/secure, the logs have
"login: FAILED LOGIN SESSION FROM 192.168.0.2 FOR (null), Authentication failure" So apparently the server compeletely ignores me having to type a username for it. This problem occurs when i trying telnetting to localhost also.

What would be the problem here? I don't have a very good knowledge of the new permissions from such things like SELinux, so could these have something to do with it?

Thanks

You do not want to login as "root", do you?