Up2date package dependency problem

TGS wrote:
do a yum --obsolete update

First of all, I didn't have yum on my system, probably because I did an upgrade rather than a clean install. This is fixed.

I thought that doing yum --obsolete update would fix this problem, but it persists. I run up2date and select gcc alone for upgrading. I get:

There was a package dependency problem.  The message was:

Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
jdkgcj-0.2.3-5                           requires gcc-java = 3.2.2

How do I get past this?
--gvc