Re: keyboard special characters don't work in netbeans and other apps

M.Holubec wrote:
Hello,
i've problem with keyboard. If i want to type some special charakters
like quotes or apostrofes, i must to press the keyboard button twice.
Problem is, that this trick don't worx in any applications (like netbeans).
i'm using FC2, KDE (kdebase-3.2.2-6.FC2, kdelibs-3.2.2-8.FC2,...) with
U.S. international keyboard defaultly. In system-config-keyboard i've
configured U.S. intl keyb too.
Thank u a lot

If you want to get rid of these "dead keys", switch your keyboard layout
to "U.S. English".  This will, of course, leave you with no easy way to
type accented characters.  I solved this by putting the following script
in $HOME/.kde/Autostart:

#!/bin/bash

exec xmodmap  -e 'keycode 113 = Mode_switch'                           \
              -e 'keycode 38 = a A aacute Aacute'                      \
              -e 'keycode 26 = e E eacute Eacute'                      \
              -e 'keycode 31 = i I iacute Iacute'                      \
              -e 'keycode 32 = o O oacute Oacute'                      \
              -e 'keycode 30 = u U uacute Uacute'                      \
              -e 'keycode 57 = n N ntilde Ntilde'                      \
              -e 'keycode 10 = 1 exclam exclamdown exclamdown'         \
              -e 'keycode 61 = slash question questiondown questiondown'

113 is the right Alt key on my keyboard, this allows me to use that key
to type non-English characters I need for my Spanish homework.  If you
want to use a different key as Mode_switch, play with xev to figure out
which keycode it generates.

If you don't know the symbolic name for a character that you want to
generate, you can use its Unicode value (at least for ISO-8859-1
characters).  So, for example, you can determine the symbolic names
like this:

[pilcher@home pilcher]$ xmodmap -e 'keycode 38 = a A 0xE1 0xC1'
[pilcher@home pilcher]$ xmodmap -pk | grep '(a)'
38    0x0061 (a)    0x0041 (A)    0x00e1 (aacute)    0x00c1 (Aacute)

Hope this helps!
Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher@xxxxxxxxxxx