Re: DNF5 is in a bad state.

On Wed, 2023-08-09 at 01:46 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 8/9/23 00:57, Onyeibo wrote:
> > I ran an update on a second rawhide machine of mine (DNF5 broke the
> > other one and I have not reinstalled Fedora there). After this last
> > update, I get the following behaviour when I attempt another update:
> >
> > # dnf update
> > bash: /usr/bin/dnf: No such file or directory
>
> Try using "dnf5" instead.  The update was supposed to give the "dnf"
> name back to dnf4.

Yes. This is intentional and expected. It's not the best experience for
Rawhide users, but that *is* part of the deal with running Rawhide -
you're kinda expected to follow the news and be able to deal with this
kind of thing.

We reverted the dnf5-by-default Change for F39, so dnf5 no longer
provides /usr/bin/dnf and no longer obsoletes dnf. For fresh installs
or upgrades from F38 to F39 everything will be smooth. For people who
ran Rawhide during the aborted transition, you need to do:

dnf5 --best install 'dnf < 5'

to get dnf4 back (just `dnf5 install dnf` may work after the next
successful Rawhide compose).

This was explained in a mail to devel@:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/F5VKNXZUIUBTZ5KI3OQ2MJ2TXCONQTVA/
--