Re: Not seeing "check" in dnf5

Apologies for the late reply.  Not sure how helpful my response will be
since I haven't direct experience of the issue, like you do.

On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 18:20:25 +0100
Onyeibo Oku <onyeibo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Jul 2023 17:59:46 +0100
> Onyeibo Oku <onyeibo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:17:27 -0700
> > stan via test <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Then I would run a
> > > dnf --distro-sync
> > > to ensure that everything is at the latest available version and
> > > remove all the older versions.
> >

> > Apart from the Kernel Panics,. it appears something went wrong while
> > updating Python.
>
> dnf ls --installed | grep python3
>
> tells me I have the recent Python3 (and Python3-libs, Python3-tkinter)
> with copies of py3.11 (as Python3.11-libs, Python3.11-tkinter etc) on
> the list. This should be fine since the packages bear different names
>
> However, when I run:
> dnf update
>
> I get conflicts as exemplified in my previous reply.  The update path
> goes on to involve python3.11-libs when it should not.  Somehow
> python3, python3-libs, and python3-tkinter picks up both 3.12 and
> 3.11 while processing the update. The two packages share something in
> common and dnf is confused.

I think python3.12 should have removed python3.11, but there are
packages that haven't been converted to run with python3.12 still in
rawhide, and so it wouldn't allow the removal of python3.11 until those
are replaced with a package depending on python3.12 instead.  I don't
think that it is so much that they share things in common as that they
conflict with each other because both are being required by a certain
set of packages.

> I can remove the older Python via:
> dnf remove python3.11-libs
>
> It pulls sudo-python-plugin and python-setuptools-wheel for removal as
> well.  How safe is that?

As I understand it, python-setuptools-wheel has become obsolete as of
python3.12.  But, I am surprised that it would only remove three
packages after the conflicts from your other post.  If that is in fact
the case, if it was my system, I would do the removal.  If the two
packages pulled in are vital for python3.12, they will have python3.12
versions that you can install *after* removing python3.11.  I don't
know enough about the python3.11 and python3.12 ABI differences to
guarantee that doing that is safe, though, for other packages.
Theoretically, if dnf didn't flag a conflict, it is safe.  But dnf5 is
new, so there might be some rough edges and corner cases.  As I said
above, I would still do the removal of python3.11, since python3.12 is
the default python3 for rawhide / f39.  If you absolutely need
python3.11 later, this will all probably have been ironed out in the
meantime, and it will work properly.  This also applies if the set of
packages that would be removed with python3.11 is small.  You could
remove them to fix the python3 11/12 conflict, and then reinstall them
later when they have been converted to use python3.12.

I wonder if there is a file that determines which python3 version is
the default, and there are two versions of it, so both 11 and 12 are
considered default?

You should open a bugzilla at
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/
against either sudo-python-plugin or python-setuptool-wheel, and put
the information from your other post in it so that the developers are
aware of this problem.  Maybe direct the error output of dnf5 into a
log file that you can attach.  That will help get it fixed.

Finally, making python3 unusable will render your system unusable (I
think). So, back up anything vital, and have some fallback scheme for
recovery, like another working install that you can use to fix rawhide
if it becomes unusable.