Re: new criterion proposal: toolbox functionality

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 11:56 PM Sumantro Mukherjee <sumukher@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Toolbox aka Toolbx should be usable.

As a style matter, let's just cut this sentence. "usable" is vague and
the next sentence offers more clarity.

> Toolbox should be able to list,
> create and provide the desired containerized environment to the user
> without root privileges.

Do we need to tighten the scope here? What sorts of failures are
acceptable? If someone tries to create a toolbox that pulls in
software from third-party repositories, I think we'd want to call that
not our problem.

> Toolbox images should be generally
> functional.

How does this differ from the previous sentence? Is "generally
functional" more than list, create, and provide the containerized
environment?

> Footnote - "What does this cover?":
> Toolbox's general functionality as covered by this test cases
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_toolbox

The test case seems to be much narrower than the text of the criterion
implies. Is the test case insufficient or is the criterion too broad?

> I think this criterion could target F39 Beta Release Criteria or Basic
> Release Criteria [2].

I'd say this is a Beta (or possibly Final, although I'm not sure if I
believe that) criterion for now. When/if ostree variants become our
primary desktop deliverable, moving it to Basic would make sense to
me.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His