Re: System hang during boot and dracut-pre-mount-hooks processing

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 21:51:07 +0000 (UTC)
George R Goffe via test <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stan,
>
> Thanks for responding to this request for help.
>
> Here's my"ls -n" results. The 5.18 kernels all work and the 6.1
> kernel fails. The size doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't
> libraries missing though.
>
> The smaller 5.18 initramfs file was created by my manual invocation
> of dracut to build it but it STILL BOOTS.

I suspect that the compression algorithm for the system created
initramfs is different than the compression algorithm of the one you
created manually.  For what it is worth, I turned off compression of
the initramfs to remove a variable during troubleshooting.  And left it
off as it only saves a few megs of drive space.  Once, that was
important, but in the days of terabytes, well, I don't think that is so
important.  Maybe for a raspberry pi?  Or android?  Internet of
things?

> As I stated, my "hang"is in dracut-pre-mount hooks processing. I
> don't know enough about dracut to trouble shoot this any further. I'm
> eager to learn though. Pointers to docs would be helpful. Is there a
> ldd lookalike for initramfs? I could unpack the boot and bad
> initramfs files and compare the libraries in both. This might give a
> clue as to what's going on.

If you look at  man dracut  , there are instructions on how to have
dracut put out debug information.  As I said, that produced nothing in
my case because there wasn't a dracut error, just an initramfs build
error.

I'm not aware of an ldd for the initramfs.  What I did is run ldd on
libsystemd, libsystemd-core, and libsystemd-share to find what
libraries were essential in order for systemd to start.  Once systemd
starts, it has the installed libraries of the system to use, and so it
doesn't need anything else from the initramfs.

If you want a quick and dirty method, just run a grep as follows on the
two initramfs you are comparing to create two files, and then edit them
side by side.  Should be all on one line, email client wrapped it.

grep -e 'lib*' initramfs[specification] >
initramfs[specification]_libs.txt

> Around the point of this failure are what looks like something is
> writing a script... just a few lines but zfs is referenced though.

If you get debug output from dracut, that might illuminate the cause of
that.

> I don't have this problem with a F38 VM (VirtualBox). Also, I do NOT
> see any strange messages during system upgrade although dnf
> apparently runs something that uses ALL memory or somehow triggers an
> OOM kill event that kills the window manager and logs me off the
> system.

I wonder, if you are using f38, I've been seeing that dnf5, the new
version of dnf written in c++(?), might be there.  So it could be
you are finding a bug.

> I have only one system here... sigh... Is there no other way to get a
> console that one could copy the output into a regular file?

The debug instructions for dracut should accomplish this.

> Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

It is for this reason that I always have two versions of fedora
installed.  The current version and the previous one.  When things
like this happen, I have recourse to the previous version to debug the
issue, and not lose access to a working system for other things.