Re: System hang during boot and dracut-pre-mount-hooks processing

Stan,

Thanks for responding to this request for help.

Here's my"ls -n" results. The 5.18 kernels all work and the 6.1 kernel fails. The size doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't libraries missing though.

The smaller 5.18 initramfs file was created by my manual invocation of dracut to build it but it STILL BOOTS.

As I stated, my "hang"is in dracut-pre-mount hooks processing. I don't know enough about dracut to trouble shoot this any further. I'm eager to learn though. Pointers to docs would be helpful. Is there a ldd lookalike for initramfs? I could unpack the boot and bad initramfs files and compare the libraries in both. This might give a clue as to what's going on.

Around the point of this failure are what looks like something is writing a script... just a few lines but zfs is referenced though.

I don't have this problem with a F38 VM (VirtualBox). Also, I do NOT see any strange messages during system upgrade although dnf apparently runs something that uses ALL memory or somehow triggers an OOM kill event that kills the window manager and logs me off the system.

I have only one system here... sigh... Is there no other way to get a console that one could copy the output into a regular file?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

George...

-rw-------. 1 0 0  90418168 Jul 10  2021 initramfs-0-rescue-e2edb6843ecc4ced9cb7a03f8590963d.img
-rw-------  1 0 0  38459141 May 17 15:58 initramfs-5.18.0-0.rc7.54.fc37.x86_64.img