Re: Release criteria proposal: require GNOME Shell extension install/remove to work

On Tue, 2022-09-13 at 07:08 -0700, Scott Beamer wrote:
> On 9/13/22 6:31 AM, Ben Cotton wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 3:35 PM Adam Williamson
> > <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > === GNOME extensions ===
> > >
> > > On Fedora Workstation, it must be possible to install and remove
> > > extensions by visiting https://extensions.gnome.org in the default web
> > > browser, after installing the required browser extension.
> > >
> > > #####
> > >
> > > Do folks think this is important enough to block Final release on?
> > Assuming the desktop folks don't say "OMG there's no way we could
> > handle this", then I'm on board with making this a final criterion.
> > This is one of those "we'll get dragged in reviews if it doesn't work"
> > sorts of things.
> >
> > The wording looks good to me. I'm trying to think of an escape hatch
> > we can give ourselves if it goes particularly sideways at some point,
> > but maybe the "difficult to fix" exception would be good enough.
>

> As I explained previously to Adam, you *can* install the few extensions
> that have been updated for GNOME 43, but what you *can't* do is use any
> of the other new functionality on extensions.gnome.org. They used to
> show you what those functions were, but they were greyed out (IIRC, one
> of them allowed you to disable compatibility checks so that you could
> install any extension - broken or not). I don't recall what the other
> one was, because the options are removed for anyone not on the current API.

You don't need to keep explaining that. We can still discuss the
proposed release criterion even though the actual bug we have right now
possibly doesn't violate it.

I don't think I want to extend the proposal beyond basic "able to
install compatible extensions", at least not right now. But I still
think the criterion is probably a good idea.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA