Re: Release criteria proposal: require GNOME Shell extension install/remove to work

On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 03:11:43PM -0700, Scott Beamer wrote:

> One thing I should mention, I checked and  only 14 of the 37 extensions that
> can be installed from the Fedora repos are compatible with GNOME 43.  So if
> Fedora 37 shipped today, I know of 23 packages that would be broken from the
> get-go.
>
> Also that API issue has been around for *weeks* in Fedora 36 and has been a
> source of frustration for me.  It's not major, but it is frustrating.

Just as a side note there's a "disable-extension-version-validation"
setting which you can set to true and it will not do the extension
version checks:

gsettings set org.gnome.shell disable-extension-version-validation true

You can then see if an extension actually does work fine and just needs
it's version check updated, or if it really needs actual porting work to
the new version.

Also, as an even more aside note here, the
gnome-shell-extension-openweather extension is one of the broken ones.
It needs porting to new libsoup. Turns out the upstream maintainer
ported it a while back, but because ubuntu hadn't moved to the new
libsoup, they just reverted it. :( Now that debian is moving to it also
perhaps they can re-land the port or have some kind of runtime check and
work with either.

kevin