Re: ALSA audio silent on some hardware

On Mon, 12 Sep 2022 14:43:31 +0200
Magnus Jørgensen <magnusmj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I finally found a solution to this problem.
> If I install alsa-plugins-pulseaudio then ALSA audio also works on my
> desktop computer.
> But why this difference?

I have a different answer than Stephen.  When pulseauudio is installed
(not sure about pipewire, but probably the same), all alsa sound is
then by default routed to pulseaudio.  To use alsa directly, it is
necessary to disable the device in pulseaudio, using either pavucontrol
or pactl / pacmd.  I think what was happening was that your application
expected to interact with alsa, and instead was interacting with
pulseaudio, which it didn't understand.  By installing the package, you
allowed pulseaudio to translate between itself and the application that
expected to talk to alsa.  Instead of turning off the device to
pulseaudio and allowing the application to talk directly to alsa, you
now are allowing the application to be translated by pulseaudio, so
alsa to pulseaudio to alsa instead of alsa.

This is the description of that package:

Description :
This plugin allows any program that uses the ALSA API to access a
PulseAudio sound daemon. In other words, native ALSA applications can
play and record sound across a network. There are two plugins in the
suite, one for PCM and one for mixer control.