Re: Please help us test: Fedora Media Writer 5.0

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 1:06 PM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi there. We just learned that there's an opportunity to have a brand new Fedora Media Writer 5.0 (with a completely redone UI, but using the same background code) together with the Fedora 36 release. The timing is tight, but we agreed that we'd like to give it a try.
>
> We'd like to gather test feedback today and tomorrow, so that we can decide whether it's a good idea to make it public next week on Tuesday for F36 GA (assuming we're GO today). If it doesn't work well, we'll ask Jan Grulich, the developer, to keep to the old FMW 4.2 for now.
>
> The latest 5.0 builds are here:
> https://github.com/FedoraQt/MediaWriter/releases
> and here:
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=86685593
>
> Can you please help us test FMW 5.0 on all possible platforms and system configurations as possible, and report here?
>
> There's a guide here for making FMW see the latest F36 RCs, instead of feeding it the ISO manually:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_USB_fmw
> (of course the Setup phase doesn't apply, use the links above instead)
>
> Please tell us which version you tested (rpm/flatpak/windows/mac), on which OS, with which hardware (especially the GPU could be relevant for rendering the UI, and if you used closed/open drivers in case of Nvidia), and how it went. Thanks!

I tested the RPM and the Flatpak on Fedora Workstation 36 on an Intel
GPU. I flashed Fedora Kinoite 36 Beta to a USB stick using it
successfully.

With both the RPM and the Flatpak, I noticed that it doesn't follow
the light/dark preference from GNOME, but that's probably
QGnomePlatform there.

With the RPM, the panels don't seem to have any imagery? The picture
of the main window in the readme has a graphic that doesn't show up on
my installed version. No graphic on the downloading and writing panels
either. At the end when it's finished, the main window still says writing to
disk, even though the notification was pushed that it finished, so it
didn't switch to the "finished" window pane. Closing it in this
scenario seems harmless, but confusing. Otherwise, it seems to work fine.

When testing the Flatpak, it seems to work the same, except the
imagery shows up and the finished writing panel shows up. The Flatpak
downloads ISOs much more slowly than the RPM (like several orders
slower!).

Are the RPM and the Flatpak built from the same commit? If so, there
might be a packaging bug in the RPM one.