Re: Proposal: revise "Default application functionality" final criterion to be clearer

On Fri, 2022-01-21 at 12:09 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:

> > Thoughts? Is this an improvement? Anyone have a better idea? Thanks!
> >

> Fine by me. I was considering just using some bold formatting in the
> original version, but this might be still a bit better.
>
> However, you dropped the "that can be launched using the standard graphical
> mechanism" phrase used in the original version. I wonder if people might
> then start arguing about applications which are installed but not visible
> in the menu (there might be some, even though I don't have a concrete
> example). Especially regarding the "all apps installed by default" part.
> You might want to integrate the phrase also into the new version, or add a
> footnote clarifying that only apps accessible "graphically" count. Or do
> you think it's a non-issue?

Thanks! This wasn't intentional, I didn't mean to drop that.

> Also please note that that section also contains:
> "All applications installed by default in Fedora Workstation must comply
> with each MUST and MUST NOT guideline in the Applications and Launchers
> policy."
> which should stay included, I believe. I assume you omitted it for
> readability reasons. This would probably be kept at the very bottom, like
> now.

Yes, that's correct. To fix the first problem, and for clarity, here's
a revised proposal for the entire text:

===

For all release-blocking desktop / arch combinations, the following
applications must start successfully and withstand a basic
functionality test:

* web browser
* file manager
* package manager
* image viewer
* document viewer
* text editor
* archive manager
* terminal emulator
* problem reporter
* help viewer
* system settings

If there are multiple applications of the same type (e.g. several web
browsers), the primary/default one must satisfy the requirements. If
the primary/default application can't be determined, at least one of
said applications must satisfy the requirements.

Additionally, for Fedora Workstation on the x86_64 architecture,
'''all''' applications installed by default which can be launched from
the Activities menu must meet this requirement.

All applications installed by default in Fedora Workstation must comply
with each MUST and MUST NOT guideline in the Applications and Launchers
policy.

===

The last two blocks actually read slightly awkwardly together like
that, but after messing with it a for a bit, I can't find a way to
combine them that reads better. So let's leave it that way.

Thanks for the catches!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA