Re: new criterion proposal: Graphical package managers (take #2)

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 3:54 PM Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The release criteria aren't design documents. We're not defining the
> intended behavior, exactly; we're defining a certain subset of known
> expected behavior which we require to *work*.
>
> The situations you describe are, essentially, "disaster recovery"
> scenarios. What our current package managers do in this scenario is
> "leave things in a corrupted state".

Yep. The (outdated, being updated) Workstation product requirements
doc says "Upgrade should be a safe process that never leaves the
system needing manual intervention." And that's not the case if
there's a crash or power failure. It's definitely manual intervention
time to recover.

But how could Fedora QA enforce what amounts to an aspirational
requirement? I think it's a good aspiration and should be in the next
revision, but also needs recommitting to it.

> That's been the case for years and
> will likely continue to be so.

I hope it won't continue much longer. On the one hand rpm-ostree is
pretty much there, and on the other hand btrfs can make it trivially
cheap to apply updates/upgrades on snapshots *instead* of the current
running system. A crash or powerfail with either transactional model
means you're booting the current unmodified root. So there is a way
forward.

> So, I'd say there isn't really anything useful we could do by writing
> criteria around the scenario of interrupted updates.

I think there's a "plug in your laptop" requirement by GNOME Software.
If for some reason that check, and inhibitor, weren't working, i.e. a
regression, I think it could be considered a blocker. It'd be a
manifestly bad idea to let a laptop start doing an major version
upgrade without power. If the system shuts down during package
installation, manual intervention would be required to recover.

> It's worth noting that we do have one rpm-ostree based release-blocking
> edition at present - IoT - and we may have more (e.g. Silverblue and/or
> CoreOS) in future. For rpm-ostree based installs, we can and do assert
> in the release criteria that rollbacks and rebases work, for recovery
> from broken update attempts:

Yep, good

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Basic_Release_Criteria#rpm-ostree_requirements
>
> because that is how things are designed to work, and it's clearly
> important enough that we should make it part of the release criteria
> that things actually work that way. But for traditional RPM-based
> installs, it doesn't really seem like something we can usefully address
> in the criteria to me.

Not yet.

--
Chris Murphy