Re: new criterion proposal: Graphical package managers

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 10:50 AM John Mellor <jmellor@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2021-11-08 9:31 a.m., Neal Gompa wrote:
> >> This is a single operation, comparable to having multiple packages installed via graphical package manager, not scheduling multiple operations at once. It would be the same If a graphical package manager offered to select multiple packages/applications and then start the transaction.
> >>
> >> "dnf install foo; dnf install bar"
> >> This is equivalent to:
> >> 1. Open Graphical package manager
> >> 2. Install foo
> >> 3. Close Graphical package manager
> >> 4. Open Graphical package manager
> >> 5. Install bar
> >> 6. Close Graphical package manager
> >>
> >> dnfdragora supports doing install + upgrade + removal in the same
> >> transaction. This is equivalent to using "dnf shell" to construct a
> >> transaction in the CLI.
> >>
> >> It is technically possible to do this with PackageKit too, but neither
> >> Discover nor Software expose this as far as I know.
>
> Did I miss something in this thread?  Given that the current Gnome
> graphical package manager requires a full and expensive reboot in
> between every install for virtually every package for mostly-defective
> reasons, how would you actually install two packages sequentially like
> that?  Are you suggesting that the current and IMHO
> poorly-thought-through package manager be finally replaced?  If so,
> hoorah!!!

No. We are not suggesting it. I am merely explaining what's possible.

Note that Discover *does* let you turn off offline updates if you
wish, though we default to offline updates.

Even with online updates, Discover and Software do not let you select
multiple actions before executing it.

> I'm all for stealing the code from tracer or the Ubuntu installer to
> identify what needs restarting, and maybe putting out a flag to prevent
> bug submissions while the running packages are not up-to-date.  I
> believe that would completely eliminate the mandatory reboots, and allow
> the package manager to move forward properly.

We will *not* change the default back to online updates for Discover
or Software.