Re: Fedora Workstation Installation crashing when in EFI

On Mon, 2021-10-11 at 23:20 +0000, Ward, David - 0665 - MITLL wrote:
> > On Wed, 2021-09-29 at 16:04 +0000, Patrick McAfee wrote:
> > > Hey all,
> > > =>   First time posting here.  When I tried to install the beta on
> > > my
> > > laptop while in EFI mode the installer would crash after installing
> > > the bootloader and transition to configuring software and go back
> > > GDM.  When I switch my laptop to Legacy it doesn't happen, which
> > > leads
> > > me to believe something is up with the EFI shim or something along
> > > those lines.  Is this a known bug that anyone knows of?  Also where
> > > do
> > > I report this one exactly?  I know this isn't a very detailed
> > > report
> > > but I wanted to check before making a fully detailed report out.
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > Hi Patrick! We'd need to see some logs to know what's going on, I
> > think. This
> > isn't a general bug, I don't think, as we do test an EFI install from
> > live media in
> > our automated tests, and those tests are passing. Does the installer
> > show
> > you any kind of crash report interface, or does it just flat out
> > disappear? If it
> > just goes away, we'll probably need to see what's in the various
> > installer log
> > files in /tmp , plus the system journal. Thanks!
>
> Adam,
>
> I can consistently reproduce this exactly as described here, on a brand
> new laptop (but not on an older one). There is a SIGSEGV occurring in
> gnome-shell, which would appear from the backtrace to be caused by a
> recent upstream commit. Please see bug 2009637.
>
> Should this be considered for a release blocker? I'm honestly not sure
> whether this issue is quite hardware constrained, or perhaps if we're
> just the first ones reporting it.

Thanks for the update - as you probably saw, I got Ray to take a look
at the bug and he saw the problem right away, a fix is now heading to
updates-testing. We're not 100% sure why it sometimes happens and
sometimes doesn't, though it's got to have *something* to do with a
password or authentication process somehow happening along the way.
Given that, I proposed it as a freeze exception issue, which is easier
to vote on and will let us get the fix in for the release.

> On that note: because ABRT is disabled when the live media boots, it
> does not capture this crash - unless I manually start the ABRT services
> before the installer. Is that intended? One of the basic release
> criteria is that installer failures should be reportable to Bugzilla.
> The nuance here is that it's not Anaconda which is crashing, but the
> fact that gnome-shell is crashing is essentially having the same
> impact.

The criterion is really covering the installer's own mechanism
specifically. abrt crash reporting is intentionally disabled on lives
since 2018:

https://pagure.io/fedora-kickstarts/c/4f4fe63125e76ef53056e10b5266ea993963b6fc?branch=main
--
Adam Williamson