RE: Fedora Workstation Installation crashing when in EFI

On 9/29/21 3:29 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2021-09-29 at 16:04 +0000, Patrick McAfee wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > =>   First time posting here.  When I tried to install the beta on my
> > laptop while in EFI mode the installer would crash after installing
> > the bootloader and transition to configuring software and go back to
> > GDM.  When I switch my laptop to Legacy it doesn't happen, which leads
> > me to believe something is up with the EFI shim or something along
> > those lines.  Is this a known bug that anyone knows of?  Also where do
> > I report this one exactly?  I know this isn't a very detailed report
> > but I wanted to check before making a fully detailed report out.
> > Thanks!
>
> Hi Patrick! We'd need to see some logs to know what's going on, I think. This
> isn't a general bug, I don't think, as we do test an EFI install from live media in
> our automated tests, and those tests are passing. Does the installer show
> you any kind of crash report interface, or does it just flat out disappear? If it
> just goes away, we'll probably need to see what's in the various installer log
> files in /tmp , plus the system journal. Thanks!

Adam,

I can consistently reproduce this exactly as described here, on a brand new laptop (but not on an older one). There is a SIGSEGV occurring in gnome-shell, which would appear from the backtrace to be caused by a recent upstream commit. Please see bug 2009637.

Should this be considered for a release blocker? I'm honestly not sure whether this issue is quite hardware constrained, or perhaps if we're just the first ones reporting it.

On that note: because ABRT is disabled when the live media boots, it does not capture this crash - unless I manually start the ABRT services before the installer. Is that intended? One of the basic release criteria is that installer failures should be reportable to Bugzilla. The nuance here is that it's not Anaconda which is crashing, but the fact that gnome-shell is crashing is essentially having the same impact.

Thanks,

David