Re: gdm / gnome-shell segfaults on Raspberry Pi 3B+

On Fri, 2021-04-23 at 09:07 -0500, Brandon Nielsen wrote:
> Thanks for following up. I was mostly trying to gauge if this was common
> enough it should be a proposed blocker.
>
> Now, not to be a stick in the mud, but what other common armhfp hardware
> is out there? If the Pi 3B+ isn't "up to the task", perhaps desktop
> images that aren't expected work should just be dropped? I'm not sure a
> desktop environment running on armhfp in a VM is that common of a use case.
>
> We're now looking at publicly releasing a version of Fedora that
> apparently just doesn't work when all immediately obvious documentation
> implies it should.

I can't speak to "immediately obvious documentation", but it's worth
remembering that Workstation on 32-bit ARM is not release blocking by
policy. See:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/34/ReleaseBlocking
the only release-blocking 32-bit ARM image left is minimal, and the
release criteria preamble state:
"The current set of release-blocking desktops for x86_64 is GNOME and
KDE, and for aarch64 is GNOME. No desktop is release-blocking for 32-
bit ARM."
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Basic_Release_Criteria#Basic_Release_Requirements

If there is documentation or marketing that gives the impression that
Workstation on 32-bit ARM is some sort of
priority/"supported"/recommended/blocking/whatever environment, it
should be changed.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA