Re: gdm / gnome-shell segfaults on Raspberry Pi 3B+

On 4/23/21 9:57 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
[Snip]

This brings up my major frustration with Fedora on ARM since I've
started poking at it. A "regular user" wanting to run Fedora on their Pi
is going to go to the Fedora ARM landing page[0]. That page doesn't make
it immediately clear what works on what hardware. If the user doesn't
give up, they may scroll down and see the Documentation link and follow
it to the Fedora ARM wiki page[1]. Scrolling there they will see
"Supported Hardware and Devices" with "Raspberry Pi" right on top. That
page[2] repeatedly lists Workstation as supported on the 3B+, in the
introduction, under supported hardware, under pre-requestites (where a
video cable is suggested, implying something other than minimal should
work), and as explicitly under supported images. No caveats are given.

End rant. I really am appreciative of Fedora on ARM. Thanks for listening.

Maybe if you'd bought this up in an appropriate place, such as the arm
mailing list or the weekly meeting we could address it, or maybe just
ask the status and people's thoughts on IRC and see what the status is
and whether it makes sense to updating the documentation for these
devices and then volunteering to do it for the arm team?

Peter

I apologize if I stepped on any toes, but I see this as a QA issue. I will gladly update documentation (and I do so when I find mistakes in the documentation). But if we're going to heavily suggest hardware is supported, that means I'm going to run test cases against it (which I did). If they fail, I'm going to file bugs (which I did). If that failure violates a release criteria (it does) I'm going to try to see how common it really is (probably should have been on the ARM list admittedly, but I already have issues keeping up with all my e-mail, Fedora related or not, and I really don't have time to linger on IRC). If it's a one off, I shrug and move on.

Since this is apparently a known caveat, I posted my rant. Which I shouldn't have done. Feel free to tell me how if want the Wiki pages modified to make it clear Workstation is not expected to work on the 3B+.