Re: gdm / gnome-shell segfaults on Raspberry Pi 3B+

> Now, not to be a stick in the mud, but what other common armhfp hardware
> is out there? If the Pi 3B+ isn't "up to the task", perhaps desktop
> images that aren't expected work should just be dropped? I'm not sure a
> desktop environment running on armhfp in a VM is that common of a use case.

There's the RPi4 that will work in 32 bit mode and it is available
with 2-8gb of RAM, there's i.MX6 devices with 2+gb of RAM, there's the
Jetson TK1 and related devices that have 4Gb of RAM as well as the arm
based OLPC devices which have between 1 and 4Gb of RAM depending on
the SKU.

> We're now looking at publicly releasing a version of Fedora that
> apparently just doesn't work when all immediately obvious documentation
> implies it should.

The RPi3 works with XFCE, Sugar and others quite well, the issue with
Workstation on that device is the GPU allocates 256Mb of the available
1Gb to CMA for V-RAM which means in fact you have significantly less
than 1Gb of RAM.

> This brings up my major frustration with Fedora on ARM since I've
> started poking at it. A "regular user" wanting to run Fedora on their Pi
> is going to go to the Fedora ARM landing page[0]. That page doesn't make
> it immediately clear what works on what hardware. If the user doesn't
> give up, they may scroll down and see the Documentation link and follow
> it to the Fedora ARM wiki page[1]. Scrolling there they will see
> "Supported Hardware and Devices" with "Raspberry Pi" right on top. That
> page[2] repeatedly lists Workstation as supported on the 3B+, in the
> introduction, under supported hardware, under pre-requestites (where a
> video cable is suggested, implying something other than minimal should
> work), and as explicitly under supported images. No caveats are given.
>
> End rant. I really am appreciative of Fedora on ARM. Thanks for listening.

Maybe if you'd bought this up in an appropriate place, such as the arm
mailing list or the weekly meeting we could address it, or maybe just
ask the status and people's thoughts on IRC and see what the status is
and whether it makes sense to updating the documentation for these
devices and then volunteering to do it for the arm team?

Peter