Re: Proposal to modify: Working Sound Beta Release Criterion

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 02:10:47PM +0100, Lukas Ruzicka wrote:

> > I think there's a misunderstanding in how all the "frameworks" and stacked
> > on top of each other. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, but I think
> > the layers are more or less like this:
> >
> > 6. Totem | Firefox | Rhythmbox | Audacity
> > --------------------------
> > 5. GStreamer | FFmpeg
> > --------------------------
> > 4. PulseAudio | JACK
> > --------------------------
> > 3. Pipewire
> > --------------------------
> > 2. ALSA | OSS
> > --------------------------
> > 1. Hardware
> >

> This is from the headlines at pipewire.org:
> *PipeWire provides a low-latency, graph based processing engine on top of
> audio and video devices that can be used to support the use cases currently
> handled by both pulseaudio and JACK.*
>
> To me, this sounds more like a replacement of the layer 4 (at least). Am I
> wrong to think that devices = hardware? Also, what Wim has told me "*PipeWire
> should be an under-the-hood change. No workflow or tools or apis are
> changed, so we still use pulseaudio API, jack API, jack tools and
> pulseaudio tools for everything. Evaluation of this should be on how
> similar the old setup was to the new one, there should ideally be no
> difference, nobody should notice a change, ideally.*" does not have to
> imply that "sound data" go to PulseAudio first and then to PipeWire. I
> believe that PipeWire mimics the PulseAudio ports to handle the situation
> by itself. However, I was not able to find any accurate description of how
> that actually works in the system, so if you have a link to a place where
> the above diagram is to be seen or confirmed, please share it.

pipewire replaces completely pulseaudio and jack _daemons_

ie, now you might have jackd or pulseaudio running, after the switch you
will just have pipewire. All the pulseaudio clients and jack clients
talk to pipewire, and think it's their daemon. They still use
pulseaudio-libs and jack libs to talk it, but pipewire daemon "speaks"
both those protocols, so as far as they know everything is exactly the
same.

So, you could adjust your table by making line 4 "Pulseaudio and jack
clients" or merging 3 and 4 into "pulseaudio, jack or pipewire daemons".

At least thats my understanding.

kevin