Re: Proposal to modify: Working Sound Beta Release Criterion

On Wed, 2021-01-27 at 18:52 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 1:59 PM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 2:20 PM Lukas Ruzicka <lruzicka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello friends of Fedora,
> > >
> > > I have been thinking about a proposal to modify the %subj.
> > >

> > It's good to link to the existing version, so that people can compare:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_34_Beta_Release_Criteria#Working_sound
> >

> > > I have tried several version and I did not like any, so finally I am
> > > proposing this text:
> > >
> > > *Working sound*
> > >
> > > *The installed system must be able to play back and record audio.*
> > >

> > This probably needs something like "(if relevant hardware is present)"
> > appended to it (or in a footnote). And we should keep the existing
> > "System-specific bugs" footnote from the current criterion.
> >
> > I believe the proposed change is good for two main reasons:
> > 1. I don't see a reason to limit the criterion to just gstreamer-based
> > applications, as it currently is.
> > 2. Audio recording has grown in importance immensely in the last year due
> > to teleconferencing and we should cover it in criteria.
> >
> > So I'm fine with the proposal.
> >
> > There's a question whether this should stay in Beta or be moved to Final,
> > since it covers more use cases in the new version. Personally I think it's
> > OK to keep this in Beta, because, quoting from the footnote, "It is meant
> > to cover bugs which completely prevent sound playback from working in any
> > hardware configuration". Less clear-cut cases can be decided as Final
> > during blocker review, and we also still have the Default application
> > functionality [1] for Final, which furthermore covers some important apps
> > by itself.
> >

> One additional thought, I would also be OK with keeping "sound output must
> work" criterion for Beta, and "sound recording must work" criterion for
> Final. That also seems reasonable.
>
> Is there no-one else who has any opinion on all this? Where is everybody? 🔭

Sorry!

The reason the current criterion specifies "with gstreamer-based
applications" is to avoid being too broad and vague. It really *means*
"sound must basically work", but we're referring to gstreamer on the
basis that:

1. It's the framework our primary desktops and apps use
2. It is actively maintained and can reasonably be expected to keep
working *as a framework*

...so it excludes problems like "this app's audio code just doesn't
work" or "this app uses some obscure framework that isn't maintained
properly and isn't working" from being potentially considered blockers,
while making sure that if *some* random app can play audio but all
gstreamer apps are broken, we should consider *that* a blocker.

I agree that "playback at Beta, recording at Final" probably makes
sense, though I can also see an argument for Beta as we might want to
make sure people can videoconference at Beta. Especially in the current
environment.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA