Re: Proposal to modify: Working Sound Beta Release Criterion

On Thu, 2021-01-28 at 13:27 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 12:36 PM Lukas Ruzicka <lruzicka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I do understand the audio criterion quite differently. I believe that an
> > application is an application, while an audio framework is an audio
> > framework. I think that the working sound criterion should apply to audio
> > as in audio framework and not to individual applications, that might be
> > judged according to the "default application functionality" criterion.
> > Therefore, limiting to gstreamer based applications is not important for my
> > point of view.
> >
> > Currently, a new situation is happening when we will have a new audio
> > framework that should be able to support all kind of applications from
> > gstreamer over alsa to jack, the working sound criterion at the Beta stage
> > should actually read something like: "is the audio server working to
> > produce audio?" Basically, what we are doing now is to test that some
> > default application, like Videos or Rythmbox plays back music, which of
> > course is not much different from "when I go to Gnome Settings and hit TEST
> > on audio tab, I can hear sound coming from the speakers". The criterion I
> > am proposing does not mention any application specifically, so basically it
> > could be met when Gnome Session does "splash splash". We could perhaps
> > automate some tests to check the technical stuff of PipeWire - the services
> > are running, the info commands actually return some info.
> >
> > What I am trying to say is that if some application does not play sound,
> > while others do, it is clearly a problem in the application and not the
> > sound framework, but if all applications based on one backend (alsa,
> > gstreamer, jack) do not play, the framework might be to blame and therefore
> > the situation might be regarded as blocking even if those applications are
> > not based on gstreamer.
> >
> > The most important change we are facing now is that
> > * PipeWire is here to support everything and if it does not, the operating
> > system has major flaws.*
> >

> I think there's a misunderstanding in how all the "frameworks" and stacked
> on top of each other. I'm not very knowledgeable in this area, but I think
> the layers are more or less like this:
>
> 6. Totem | Firefox | Rhythmbox | Audacity
> --------------------------
> 5. GStreamer | FFmpeg
> --------------------------
> 4. PulseAudio | JACK
> --------------------------
> 3. Pipewire
> --------------------------
> 2. ALSA | OSS
> 1. Hardware

AIUI, PulseAudio, JACK and Pipewire are all alternatives at the level
between "ALSA | OSS" and "GStreamer | FFmpeg", and there is only one
level there. Pipewire does not "sit under" PulseAudio and/or JACK, it
is an alternative to them.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA