Re: Rawhide F34 observation

Essentially 4.0 === 40 and 40 is the new major version. https://9to5linux.com/the-next-major-gnome-release-will-be-gnome-40-coming-march-2021

On Thu 14 Jan 2021 at 00:25, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 2021-01-13 at 13:24 -0500, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On 1/13/21 12:15, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 09:51:50AM -0500, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > While testing Rawhide F34 I have observed that the gnome-tweaks
> > > application is missing the Extensions, Top Bar, and Workspaces
> > > setting windows. Is this a bug of omission or are these settings
> > > being removed or added to GCC? I don't see them in GCC.
> >
> > I expect that this is related to the upcoming GNOME redesign which affects these
> > things.
> >

> Wow, That is a big move especially since Gnome 4.0 seems to be currently
> set to release in March when F34 is set to release in April. I know we
> always seem to get the latest Gnome at the last minute, but this seems
> to be a much bigger change than usual. On the surface this seems like a
> potential for late F34 or other issues. I hope they have a fallback
> planned. It seems a bit early for them to be starting to take things out
> that people use. Rawhide F34 still shows Gnome as 3.38.2 (the same as
> F33). Yes I know gnome-tweaks is a separate package, in fact a few years
> back I suggested that it would be nice if GCC and gnome-tweeks were
> combined into a single tool, but this is an important setting tool and
> it's being changed well before Gnome 4 is a sure thing. We don't even
> know that such an integration of these tools is planned for Gnome 4. I
> hope someone has their arms around this.

Saying it's "related" doesn't mean they're gone forever. It may just be
that they need reworking for the new GNOME design, and have been taken
out so they don't do anything weird or surprise people by not working.
I'm not sure, honestly, but asking on desktop@ would probably be
better.
--
Adam Williamson