Re: Rawhide F34 observation

On 1/13/21 12:15, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 09:51:50AM -0500, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
While testing Rawhide F34 I have observed that the gnome-tweaks
application is missing the Extensions, Top Bar, and Workspaces
setting windows. Is this a bug of omission or are these settings
being removed or added to GCC? I don't see them in GCC.

I expect that this is related to the upcoming GNOME redesign which affects these
things.

Wow, That is a big move especially since Gnome 4.0 seems to be currently set to release in March when F34 is set to release in April. I know we always seem to get the latest Gnome at the last minute, but this seems to be a much bigger change than usual. On the surface this seems like a potential for late F34 or other issues. I hope they have a fallback planned. It seems a bit early for them to be starting to take things out that people use. Rawhide F34 still shows Gnome as 3.38.2 (the same as F33). Yes I know gnome-tweaks is a separate package, in fact a few years back I suggested that it would be nice if GCC and gnome-tweeks were combined into a single tool, but this is an important setting tool and it's being changed well before Gnome 4 is a sure thing. We don't even know that such an integration of these tools is planned for Gnome 4. I hope someone has their arms around this.

I don't recall reading anything like this in the F34 change proposals. Seems like it might be good to have a big Gnome change like this in our change proposals so that Fedora folks can give it some thought and decide what's best for Fedora.

If we do go with whatever comes in Gnome 4 we may have to release F34 with the prior version of gnome-tweaks in the F34 repo so users will still have the functionality they need. I guess one fallback could be to make sure that the prior version of gnome-tweaks will work with F34/Gnome4.

	Have a Great Day!

	Pat	(tablepc)