Re: FC 34, broken glibc

Howdy,

I thought of a solution that didn't require a re-installation.

There's a handy command in /bin named rpm2cpio. I fed the glibc rpms to this program and passed the stream to cpio.  Out popped several directories that were stored into by the rpm command except that these dirs went to the current directory. I copied the files to each of it's designated target. This is kinda iffy since some rpms run pre and post scriptlets. I took a gamble and it appears to have worked. Just in case I ran dnf distro-sync to get "real" package installation. That worked as well.

This message is from my fc34 system...  The problem appears to be resolved.

Thanks to all you terrific helpers for your thougts and help.

Best regards... and STAY SAFE!

George...

 On Friday, December 11, 2020, 7:28:55 AM PST, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 03:24:14PM +0000, George R Goffe wrote:
> I have a fc31 live system booted and am looking for a statically linked
> bash because chroot fails... no libgc. Sigh... The commands rpm and the
> others rpm might run during an (re)install would probably need to be
> statically linked in as well.

You might be able to install busybox and get that to be helpful. But I don't
think we have a statically-linked RPM anymore. Personally, I'd rsync /home
to a backup device and reinstall the whole thing.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>