Re: holding shift on boot does not reveal grub menu

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 9:10 AM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 3:10 PM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Using virt-manager, F8 increases the sound on my laptop.
>

> Then it's not F8 :D Either configure your keyboard (in BIOS, in runtime) to use Fx keys instead of multimedia keys, or pressing Fn+F8 should actually send F8, at least that's how most systems do it.

:facepalm: you're right. I only ever press F8/volume+ key without
pressing Fn key too. When I use Fn+F8 so far I'm consistently getting
a grub menu (this is virt-manager).

>> For whatever
>> reason it never passes through to the VM only. And two of three
>> computers F8 is reserved for the firmware.
>

> You have to hit it at the right moment, which can be very tricky :-/

The hardware case is different. They seem to accept F8 key alone or in
combination with Fn key as F8. So if F8 key is pressed, for sure the
firmware menu comes up. So shift needs to work for grub - or
something. Spacebar. Tab. Anything. But this is why I gave up on menu
autohide a long time ago and just unset autohide on baremetal
machines.

> Stephen says you can hit any key to make GRUB show, I couldn't verify that yet.

I'm beginning to think it depends on specific combinations of
things... including the phase of the moon.

--
Chris Murphy