Curiosity in QA:Testcase base service manipulation

In regard to: QA:Testcase base service manipulation

Back about a year ago now I started fiddling around with this test case to see if I could make it a bit easier to run.

A little background first. After I have my test machine set up and ready to start testing a new drop I always do the login tests first. Then I set the pass word to "none" and set the account to auto login. I do this because I find I end up doing lots of restarts while I am testing and prefer to not be bothered with the logins as security on my test machine is not an issue. I also set the root pass word, just because I always set a root password on my test machine.

Now back to the test case. My approach to the test case is to have four (4) bash scripts that do each part of the test and reboot the system. I save the results for the commands in a file and have another file to keep track of which step last ran so I know which step to run next. I still have to write my top level script and write a little python code to parse the results file and report.

While I was getting the four individual scripts running I had a problem with using the (su -c). I seem to recall that using (su -c) required a list being edited to allow the user to use (su -c) I ended up putting (sudo su) at the top of each script and just ran the commands without the (su -c). That seemed to work fine.

Is there a critical to the test reason to use (su -c)? Is using the approach I took a problem for the test?

Is their a better approach I could take to this?

	Be Well Stay Safe

	Pat	(tablepc)