Re: F32, Automatic suspend isn't working.

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020, 12:48 PM Samuel Sieb <samuel@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3/28/20 11:35 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:

> >> What was there before you changed it to 30?  If you reset it to the
> >> default value what happens and what is the default value?
> >
> > The default is 20 minutes, and I had it set to 20 minutes at the time
> > of the suspend failure.
>
> Was it at the default value or you had it set to 20?

I don't understand the question.

GNOME Settings>Power>Suspend & Power Button>Automatic Suspend - click
on that and I get a dialog:
Automatic Suspend
On Battery Power = enabled
                   Delay = 20 minutes

There is no UI available in GNOME to know the default value or to
change it back to the default value. I just happen to know the default
is 20 minutes because on a separately clean installed system it's set
to 20 minutes.

At least according to dconf editor, this is a custom value not the
default value.

> (It could possibly
> make a difference.)  When you changed it to 30, it suspended after 30
> minutes?

GNOME settings units are minutes.
dconf editor units are seconds.

Since GNOME settings minimum value is 15 minutes, and because I'm
impatient, I installed dconf editor and changed the value from 1200
seconds to 30 seconds.

And it does suspend after 30 seconds.

> Did you make another test to see if it would suspend after 20 minutes at
> the default value?

I don't know what '20 minutes at the default value' means. But I did
change the automatic suspend on battery setting to 20 minutes. And it
does suspend after 20 minutes.

What does happen in sequence:

8 minutes, screen goes black (backlight off)
~16 minutes, screen lights up, I see a lock screen message for Power
saying that automatic suspend will happen soon. This goes away
quickly, maybe 15 seconds.
20 minutes sleep.

So it's a transient problem.

Everything that was running last night when it failed, is the same
thing that's running right now.

> Maybe there was some reason it didn't think it was
> idle that one time.  I've had mice that would randomly send movement and
> keep waking up the screen.

With the available information, there's no way to troubleshoot this. I
need debug information from whatever is responsible for idle and
timeout tracking and initiating suspend.

--
Chris Murphy