Re: criterion proposal: prevent services timing out on system shutdown

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 2:47 AM Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I find it a very poor experience to wait 90+ seconds for machine reboot/shutdown. Much poorer than, say, a crashing desktop application (which we block on), because that application can be replaced with a different one. System services mostly can't be replaced, and certainly not by a general user.

I agree. I always force power off in this case, a) in the context of
desktop reboots I'm very strongly biased toward DO IT NOW! ; b) I love
torture testing file systems.

> All system services present after installation with one of the release-blocking package sets must not time out frequently or regularly when they are being stopped during system reboot/shutdown.

Alternate 1:
'must not timeout when'

Alternate 2:
'must not consistently timeout when'

I think blocking on transient unit timeouts may not be practical even
if desirable. But there remains a problem with all of these: what if
the timeout is 90s and the unit consistently takes 80s to stop? I
think that's no different than 90s and systemd just killing it off.
Some  units have 5 minute or even indefinite timeouts set. If the
criterion is hinged on the timeout being reached, then it may often
not be a blocker even if that's the intent.

Alternate 3:
'must not consistently hang for more than 30s when'

I might get on board with 10s being the max.

--
Chris Murphy