Re: question about Rawhide and the unofficial third-party repo

On 2020-03-08 14:04, David wrote:
> When Fedora 32 branches off Rawhide, does anything happen to the most
> popular unofficial third-party repo ?

Please try not to obfuscate.

What is the name of the repo you are talking about?

> Does this forum allow for such heresy to talk about the specific repo and its
> proprietary packages ?       I see some distros refer to these packages as
> "tainted."     Is that just a polite way of saying, non-free ?

It isn't.

However, if you have specific questions on what is / is not the state/process of a given repo
you should go to their site/forum for that info.

And "tainted" is a specific term.  See https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.15/admin-guide/tainted-kernels.html

In the case of the broadcom drivers the kernel is probably tainted in 3 ways.

A module with a non-GPL license has been loaded, this includes modules with no license.
An out-of-tree module has been loaded
and
An unsigned module has been loaded in a kernel supporting module signature

> On a related note, I have an empty PCI slot, I was saving for a graphics card,
> but I could instead add a fancy Linux-supported wi-fi card.     Which one ?
> ASUS AC1200 ??

The product you suggest isn't a wifi card.  It is a wifi router.

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.