Re: Closing bug reports

On Wed, Jan 01, 2020 at 12:28:41PM -0500, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
...snip...
> Question: Is this an okay thing to do? I asked this once before in the
> context of a particular bug and the recommendation was that I should send an
> e'mail to the assignee. I just want to determine if this is a good general
> case practice.

I'd say if you know that they are fixed you should just close them
explaining that. If there's some issue and the maintainer(s) want them
to stay open they can always re-open them.

IMHO, you can always ask also in the bug: "Should this be closed? I think
it's fixed and will close it in 1 week unless I hear otherwise"

I personally really prefer comments in bugs over needinfo (which seems
"pushy" to me? I am not sure why, but I think of needinfo as a
escalation over just adding a comment. Sort of a 'hey! you never
answered me, and I NEED INFO NOW'.

Personal email about bugs has lots of issues too:
* What if the maintainer(s) you mail are no longer taking care of the
package and just drop your emails, but then someone new takes over the
package. That new person(s) would see all the existing bugs, but would
have 0 idea of what your emails might have said to the old maintainers.

* Are you sending to just the point of contact? Or to all
maintainers/co-maintainers? Perhaps some co-maintainer is the active
person and the point of contact you send to could care less.

* Perhaps some provenpackager sees your bug and fixes it. They can tell
you/update the bug, but if you send email to maintainers, they would
have no idea it even happened.

Anyhow, just a few cents...as others have noticed, there's no hard
guidelines here, just be kind and do the best you can. :)

kevin