Re: Closing bug reports

On Wed, 2020-01-01 at 20:58 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 10:29 AM pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Happy New Year Everyone!
> >
> > In my prior experience I was expected to keep any problem reports I
> > filed (like bug reports) followed up on and make sure they got closed.
> > For me it's a long established habit.
> >
> > I like to keep my bugzilla list short. Sometimes bugs that I have filed
> > are fixed without without being closed. They just hang around until they
> > age out of the system and someone closes them.
> >
> > Sometimes, bugs just age and age because I have updated them to be
> > applicable to the current version of Fedora, but no one has had time to
> > look at them. This isn't a criticism. I understand the some bugs are low
> > priority for a number of good reasons.
> >
> > Today I sent some e'mails to the assignees of some bugs that I think
> > should be closed because they are fixed, have been superseded by another
> > bug, or in one case the application was retired.
> >
> > I re-read the pages in the wiki on bug reports and the topic of closing
> > bugs seems missing except for "end of life"
> >
> > Question: Is this an okay thing to do? I asked this once before in the
> > context of a particular bug and the recommendation was that I should
> > send an e'mail to the assignee. I just want to determine if this is a
> > good general case practice.
> >

> I'd use the bugzilla NEEDINFO feature to notify the
> assignee/maintainer, rather than send direct emails. But based on
> various emails on the subject of... too many emails, the problem with
> NEEDINFO is it generates more emails. So I'd probably only use
> NEEDINFO for bugs of some urgency rather than ordinary bugs or bugs
> that are actually requests for enhancement, and also consider filing
> the bug upstream. A difficulty with the current system is it's
> non-obvious to what degree a component's Fedora maintainer is involved
> with upstream development, versus mainly just packaging it for Fedora.

There are various practices. I tend to be pretty aggressive, honestly -
if I notice a bug that looks to me like it is clearly fixed but it's in
an open state, I usually just go ahead and close it with a comment.
Given that this is a trivially reversible operation I don't really see
it as a problem. But if you want to be less direct about it, using a
needinfo flag or emailing the maintainer both seem like perfectly fine
choices to me.

AFAIK there is no Official Policy on this, or anything, and much as I
love writing them it doesn't really seem like an appropriate topic for
one, it seems like more of an informal thing that may depend on the
people involved.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey