Re: For today's agenda item - Proposed disk unmount test case

On Wed, 2019-12-11 at 14:13 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 7:05 PM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2019-12-07 at 09:45 -0500, pmkellly@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > > I think I have it close to what you want. Please let me know.
> > >
> > > Here's the link:
> > >
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tablepc/Draft_testcase_reboot
> > >
> > >       Have a Great Day!
> >
> > Hey folks! So as mentioned in the meeting today, here's my draft with a
> > few revisions to Pat's draft:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_testcase_reboot
>
> Thanks Adam. Here are some questions and nitpicks, as always:
>
> If you are testing a live image, perform the steps below from the live
> > environment before doing the install. After this go ahead with the install.
> > Then perform the steps below from the installed system.
> >

> What's the point of running the checks from Live image as well? The local
> filesystems will likely get wiped and re-created anyway. Extra failures in
> the log might just confuse us when reading the bug report.

That was in Pat's version, I just re-worded it. But yeah, this is a
reasonable point (in fact you can't check the logs after rebooting the
live image because they won't be there). I think this is a bit of an
artifact of the fact that this test case is trying to cover both 'does
it shut down / reboot correctly?' and 'do filesystems unmount
correctly?', and Pat was maybe more interested in emphasizing the
second. I think checking that the live image shuts down properly is
worthwhile, but we should reword it to reflect that's all there is to
check.

> (Also, if we want to keep this, it should be the first step, not the third
> one. I wouldn't expect the reader to go and read the whole test case first,
> before starting with the first step.)

Yeah, good point.

> On the installed system, run a console and become root with sudo su or su.
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/7013/why-do-we-use-su-and-not-just-su

*sigh* ten points

> If there was output from the grep command, run the command journalctl -b -l
> > > journal.log
>
> "The old options -l/--full are not useful anymore, except to undo
> --no-full."
> (man journalctl)

Again, taken from Pat's version. Quit blaming me. :P

> Run the following command: journalctl -b | grep -E "dirty bit|data may be
> > corrupt|recovery|unmounted|recovering" and see whether there is any output.
> >
> If there was output from the grep command, run the command journalctl -b -l
> > > journal.log. Please file a bug report (the kernel is most likely the
> > correct package to file the report against) and attach the journal.log file
> > to the bug report.
> >

> I'd probably add another step between those two. If there was some match,
> I'd ask the user to see the full journal, find the matched line, and
> inspect it in context. If it looks to be a standard operation printout,
> e.g. a successful unmount operation or a message coming from some unrelated
> app and not from kernel/systemd/fsck, that message should be ignored. Only
> if it looks like a filesystem error similar to the sample errors provided
> by Chris, the full log should be saved and a bug reported. Which means I'd
> like to add sample errors inside the test case, e.g. into another section
> called "Filesystem errors examples". Those error samples might come in
> handy in the future revisions of the test case as well, e.g. if we find out
> that the grep command is too broad.

I can see this, but I'm not *sure* about the 'sample errors', because
that's the kind of content that goes stale very quickly. I usually work
quite hard to write test cases such that they shouldn't need much
updating, because no-one ever does update them...

>     Each grep command should produce no output.
> >     Running reboot should cause an orderly shutdown and restart of the
> > system.
> >

> I think these "expected results" can be easily omitted, because they are
> obvious from how the test steps are written. No hard feelings, though.

I'd rather keep them, just because that's how we do test cases. Also, I
mean, it *is* useful to be explicit about which of the steps in a test
case are the key ones and which aren't.

> Draft testcase reboot
>
> The testcase should be renamed, I think. Something like "Testcase
> filesystem consistency" or "Testcase clean unmount" or "Testcase reboot
> unmount".

Yeah, I was actually thinking the same.
--
Adam Williamson