Re: Proposal: Asynchronous blocker review process (using Pagure)

On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 01:29:40PM +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:
> We've talked about replacing blocker bug review meetings with something
> else for a long time. The meeting has an upside of a higher communication
> bandwidth, but also a downside of requiring participants to be available at
> the same time (throughout the world), often being extremely long, and being
> scheduled just once per week (because of mentioned downsides). I've put
> some thoughts into making the process asynchronous, and you can see all the
> options I considered described below. I close up with a proposal for the
> best choice I found.

...snip...

I do like the idea of making things more async, although we have a poor
history of following through on this in other groups. :(

> Note that we don't need the blocker bot to be fully or even partially
> implemented, just to try this out. We can easily do the bot steps manually
> in the beginning and decide whether we like this process, before we start
> working on the automation. We can pretty much start testing this right now,
> if we want.
>
> What are your thoughts? Does the proposal sound reasonable? Would you
> change something? Would you use a different backend system? Have I
> forgotten something important? Feedback welcome.

I pretty much agree with all the points you made on the various systems.
That said, I think this is kinda a bad time to be doing this change.
There's a lot of... (grumblings? rumors? idle converstations?) about the
various bug/issue/source/forges we are currently using. I don't know if
this means we will move to something else, try and consolidate more on
one or what, it's all very vuage at this point. So, IMHO, it's kind of a
bad time to be moving process to one or another things that might
require you to move again later (be that bugzilla or pagure or
whatever). Of course if the process is simple (which I think it should
be) it would translate pretty well to whatever system it's used on.

As a side note I will note that bugzilla does allow voting also, we just
asked them to disable it on the Fedora component. Althought I am not
surre it works in a way thats useful for this workflow: Every user gets
X vote points per Y time and can distribute them accross bugs as they
like. I guess the idea is that then you could see the bugs users REALLY
want fixed.

I guess I would be most in favor of something leveraging bugzilla, since
thats where our bugs are (at least now).

kevin